- Manuals: http://www.pragma-ade.com/overview.htm (if you feel lost there, follow the "First manuals" section below)
- Subversion repository of (some) manual sources: svn://ctx.pragma-ade.nl/manuals
- http://context.aanhet.net/svn/ is a browseable tree of the subversion repository. It is updated hourly.
- SVN repository of the main manual: https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextman/
Some of the manuals exist in a "paper" and a "screen" edition, some also in English and Dutch versions. Linked on this page are always the English screen editions. You find the others on the overview page. Manuals on single topics are linked on their topic page(s).
You can even buy printed versions of some at H2O-Books.
You can easily get lost in the number of manuals on ConTeXt here, so before you proceed to the advanced features of ConTeXt, the following selection of the manuals should give you the insight how the things work in ConTeXt. Except the first one they are not necessary for those who want to use ConTeXt out of the box, rather they are meant for those beginners who want to explore advanced features, write own macros or modify existing features before they start to do so. To save time of developers, please, read them before you start asking questions at the mailing list.
Also not-yet-finished but very beautiful Typographic Programming is recommanded to the curious beginners by experienced users.
- ConTeXt, an excursion
- ConTeXt reference manual : the complete, but never up-to-date manual
- MetaFun : manual for MetaPost and the MetaFun extension
XML and derivatives
- Dealing with XML in ConTeXt MkIV (2009)
- XML in ConTeXt (2001, for XML in MkII)
- MathML in ConTeXt, Examples
- Figure Databases
- Metafun manual by Hans Hagen (Oct 2010, 657 Pages) (screen) (print) for MetaPost and the MetaFun extension. A full-color paper copy can be ordered from Boekplan.
- texexec : central typesetting tool
- texfont : font installation tool
- texutil : general TeX helper tool
There are 6 uptodate files available from PRAGMA ADE.
- [screen] [paper] Field Widgets References
- [screen] [paper] PPCHTeX examples
- [screen] [paper] Flowcharts
- [screen] [paper] Tabulation
- Reserved for Bibliographies
- Reserved for Mathematics
- [screen] [paper] Chinese
- [screen] Automatic Tables
The uptodate documents now also exist under a different name:
- mwidget-p.pdf (paper) and mwidget-s.pdf (screen)
- (Not changed?)
- (never published)
- (never published)
Examples of Presentations
Apart from the manuals, the source files (especially, some of the old ones) contain excellent documentation and examples. If you want a pretty printed pdf of a source file, say core-rul.tex, you can type
texmfstart texexec --module kpse:core-rul.tex
--module switch tells
texexec to generate the documentation. The
kpse before the filename, tells
texexec to search the texmf tree core-rul.tex
documentation that is not about ConTeXt, but might be very interesting to ConTeXt users.
- overview of pdf file format