From ConTeXt wiki
Revision as of 15:41, 20 November 2012 by Esteis
Historically there were a lot of different TeX distributions. Nowadays there are only a few wide spread. We mention only those that are free and support ConTeXt:
|TeX Live||a lot||tug.org/texlive||web2c, based on teTeX; has installer and a package manger.|
|teTeX||Linux, Unix||tug.org/tetex||web2c; not supported any more, TeX Live is recommended instead.|
|fpTeX||Win32||xemtex||not maintained any more, see XEmTeX|
|proTeXt||Win||tug.org/protext||based on MikTeX, bundled with TeX Live|
|W32TeX||Win||fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp||with XeTeX and the latest ConTeXt|
|gwTeX||MacOS X||rna.nl||web2c, based on TeX Live; comfortable install and update GUI ("i-Installer"). Now unsupported|
|MacTeX||MacOS X||tug.org/mactex||web2c, based on TeX Live; comfortable install. Actually the simplest MacOSX install.|
|minimal ConTeXt||Win, Lin, Mac||pragma-ade.com||web2c|
- web2c is a common base for TeX distributions, see tug.org/web2c. It uses the kpathsea tool and its ls-R database for file searches.
- use mktexlsr (same as texhash) to rebuild the file database after every install or change!
- Beware, older web2c distributions keep ConTeXt’s (Perl/Ruby) scripts at .../context/perltk, newer at .../scripts/Perl/context! Make sure to delete the older ones! See also Update Hints
- MikTeX has a "rebuild database" menu entry; use it after every install or change!
- You should enable write18 in miktex.ini (MikTeX's counterpart to texmf.cnf) to get MetaPost support working.
|pdfTeX||"all"||Yes||pdftex.org||latest version at freshmeat or sarovar; development frozen, see LuaTeX|
|LuaTeX||"all"||Yes||luatex.org||extended version of pdfTeX using Lua|
|XeTeX||"all"||Yes||sil.org||supports OpenType and all other fonts installed on OS, Unicode, bidirectional typesetting, Mac special features; Windows version not officially released yet - see W32TeX above|
|NTS||Java||No||CTAN||OO re-implementation of TeX in Java as a base for further enhancements; discontinued, see ExTeX|
|ExTeX||Java||No||extex.org||merger of NTS with eTeX, pdfTeX and Omega (pre-alpha state)|
|Aleph||"all"?||Yes||CTAN||Omega/eTeX merge (former eOmega) by Giuseppe Bilotta (beta state)|