TeX Live 2011
The ConTeXt in TeX Live 2011 is 2011.05.18 with a few small changes. Both ConTeXt MkII and MkIV work out the box.
The scheme-context installs collection-context and collection-metapost. This brings in quite a few font families, but we did not want to automatically install all font packages, so you may need to install a few by hand with tlmgr.
The English interface for both pdftex and xetex is automatically managed by fmtutil. Just run
$ texexec <myfile>
to compile documents using pdfTeX, or
$ texexec --engine=xetex <myfile>
Enabling other MkII interfaces
You will need write permissions to TEXMFSYSVAR to enable the other context language interfaces. So if you cannot do the following steps below, point your local administrator to this page and kindly ask him/her to run the commands below for you.
Adding extra context interfaces follows the same rules as for any other local format. The process is a little
complicated because the normal
fmtutil.cnf may be overwritten by package updates, and therefore a local file has to be created.
1. Look for the commented cont-XX lines in
$ kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf
to find its exact location. You only need the commented lines, there is no need to copy anything else.
2. Create or edit the file
$TEXMFLOCAL is something like
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local, you can use
$ kpsewhich --expand-var '$TEXMFLOCAL'
to find the exact location.
3. Put the commented cont-'XX' lines you found in step 1 into the
If you want xetex formats as well, make a copy of each line replacing
xetex. Then uncomment these lines, save the file, and exit the editor.
After this, the
$TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/fmtutil-local.cnf (or the new section of it, if it preexisted) should look like this:
cont-de pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-de.ini cont-de xetex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-de.ini cont-fr pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-fr.ini cont-fr xetex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-fr.ini cont-it pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-it.ini cont-it xetex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-it.ini cont-nl pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-nl.ini cont-nl xetex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-nl.ini cont-ro pdftex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-ro.ini cont-ro xetex cont-usr.tex -8bit *cont-ro.ini
4. If you created a new file, now run
to make sure the file will be found by the TeX Live system.
5. Now run
# tlmgr generate fmtutil
This merges the info from the TeX Live distribution with the
6. Now to generate the newly enabled ConTeXt MkII formats, run
# fmtutil-sys --all
from now on, the extra formats will be auto-renewed whenever context updates are installed via
$ context <myfile>
to compile documents.
Post-installation, any files that are installed via
tlmgr will automatically be found.
However, because MkIV does not use the kpathsea library, some setup will be required whenever you install new
files manually (without using
tlmgr). After each such installation, each MkIV user must run:
to refresh the ConTeXt disk cache data.
MkIV cache location
ConTeXt MkIV will read from all paths mentioned in
TEXMFCACHE (whose value in TeX Live is
$TEXMSYSVAR;$TEXMFVAR) and writes to the first path in that list that is writable.
TEXMFVAR in standard TeX Live is
~/.texlive2011/texmf-var (in MacTeX:
~/Library/texlive/2011/texmf-var), so this is where the file cache will be stored for ordinary users. If you are unhappy with that, you can set the environment variable TEXMFCACHE to your preferred location.
While reading, the last found match will take precedence in the case of duplicated cache data.
ConTeXt 2011.05.18 changes
- Because the copyright of the koeielogos and koeieletters fonts does not allow modifications, the relevant files are not included (this was also the case in previous years).
- The files from cont-mpd.zip are in the package mptopdf. The context package depends on mptopdf, so installation is automatic.
- The symbol fonts from Janusz Nowacki are in the package jmn. The context package depends on jmn, so installation is automatic.
- Mojca and Taco applied a few hot-fixes for some bugs:
- solve many issues with spaces in installation paths
- changed (extended) the search path for texmfcnf.lua
- fix the handling of non-cached paths (like TEXMFHOME)
- renamed the font lmmath into lmmath-regular
- a patch for grid typesetting
- post-release changes
- remove a few files (forgotten lefovers from older releases)