< [[Visuals]] | [[Symbols]] >
handling in ConTeXt is “strange” for LaTeX users. It’s a system of abstraction and aliases, complex and mighty… But there’s help. If you happen to use [[XeTeX]], then you can forget almost all the magic and start using your system fonts (see [[Fonts_in_XeTeX]]). If you want to keep using [[pdfTeX]], read on:
The ConTeXt way of using fonts are [[TypeScripts]].'''* [http: //www. pragma-ade. com/general/manuals/mtexfont. pdf font installation with texfont] by Pragma* [http: //www . pragma - ade. com/general/manuals/mfonts. pdf ConTeXt's font mechanism in detail] by Pragma * [http://www. pragma-ade. com/general/manuals/mmakempy. pdf making outlines ] by Pragma* [http:// pragma-ade. nl/ fonttest. pdf Here] you can try out several TeX fonts online (PDF interface!)* Troubleshooting: solving [[ TeXfont]] problems.* Character [[ Protrusion]] (also known as hanging or font handling) is a more subtle typographic effect. * [[Font Handling Internals]]* [http:// homepage. mac. com/ atl/ tex/ Adam Lindsay's page] focuses on typography (OpenType, Unicode etc.), esp. on MacOS X* [http:// home. salamander.com/ ~wmcclain/ context-help. html Bill McClain's ConTeXt beginners page] has also a lot about fonts
* [http://tug.org/pracjourn/2005-2/schmitz/schmitz.pdf Integrating TrueType Fonts into ConTeXt] by Thomas A. Schmitz (PracTeX Journal)
* [[Installing a TrueType font, step by step]]. If you just need to install a TrueType font, this may be what you are looking for.
* [http://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/expertfonts.pdf Installing Expert Fonts: Minion Pro] by Idris Samawi Hamid; contains step-by-step instructions, from preinstallation to writing typescripts* [[ Pseudo Small Caps]] by Vit Zyka * Matt Gushee's introduction to [http://havenrock.com/textips/bookfonts.html virtual fonts], especially for getting expert fonts to work.* [[ URW Garamond]]
''Some hints by Taco from the mailing list on 2005-11-20:''
Another important thing is that it also does not share font map files with LaTeX and, specifically,
'''ConTeXt does not make
pdfetex read <tt>pdftex.map</tt>.'''
(this is at the root of a great many problems reported by users only familiar with PSNFSS)
There are ways to trick ConTeXt into using different conventions, but if you do that you are likely to run into trouble.
Configuration=* Using [[ psnfss] ] metrics in ConTeXt* Matt Gushee about [http:// havenrock.com/ textips/ bookfonts.html virtual fonts]
* Fonts rely on [[Encodings and Regimes]], and it helps to know what happens underneath the hood, from time to time.
* In newer distributions, map files belong in <tt>…/fonts/map/pdftex/context</tt>!
* Don't forget to look at [[cont-sys.tex]]!
= Available Free Fonts =
* [http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/info/Free_Math_Font_Survey/survey.html Free Math Fonts] : overview of different free Math fonts; [http://www.geocities.com/hartke01/ links to other free fonts]
org/ GFS Didot] : Latin, full set of polytonik Greek, small caps, oldstyle figures, full f-ligatures ([http://modules.contextgarden.net/gfsdidot Module for ConTeXt])* [ http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre TeX Gyre] : a set of great text fonts by our GUST friends, based on URW's free PostScript standard fonts for GhostScript. [[GYRE: simple usage]]
* [http://www.janusz.nowacki.strefa.pl/kurier.html Foto Alfa] : some TeX related fonts from Poland (Antykwa Toruńska. Antykwa Półtawskiego, Kurier, Iwona...)
* [http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net Libertine Open Fonts Project]: GPL/OFL serif font
* [http://scripts.sil.org SIL International] : great Unicode fonts for scholars by SIL (Gentium, Doulos, Charis, etc.)
* [http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~pinax/greekkeys/GreekKeys.html GreekKeys] : links to polytonic Greek fonts
* [http://scholarsfonts.net Scholar's Fonts] : Font for Scholars (Latin, Germanic languages, Greek, Hebrew and Linguistics)
www.engl. virginia. edu/OE/ junicode/junicode.html Junicode] : Junius-Unicode, a font for medievalists
* [http://www.freelang.net/fonts/index.html FreeLang fonts] : fonts for exotic languages
* [http://www.blambot.com Blambot] : Comic fonts
* [http://kadyellebee.com/fonts/ Kristine's Font Organization] : find a font in a sorted directory
* [http://www.fontlover.com FontLover] : font news portal site
typefaces- fonts- shop/free. php Lido] : OpenType and TrueType typeface by Storm Type Foundry, free for non-commercial use. [http://modules.contextgarden.net/stormfontsupport Support].
* ''... many more to be added ...''
=Hints by Language=
* general: [[Encodings and Regimes]]
* [[Arabian and Hebrew]] (Idris? other ArabTeX specialists?)