Difference between revisions of "Units"
("Sterant" ("steradian" in English) is a measure of (solid) angle.)
|Line 70:||Line 70:|
Revision as of 23:49, 18 November 2010
< Math >
- Scientific units can be typeset in math mode pretty well, but occasionally one has to take care of spacing.
Furthermore, entering these units is not that natural as wanted. Therefore this module presents a more natural way of doing things, like:
\usemodule[units] 1.23 \Cubic \Meter \Per \Second
This example shows that we use the order in which we say things, instead of typeset things. There is no dedicated manual for this module, but an article (in dutch) has been published in [Maps#21], the journal of the NTG.
- This runtime loadable module implements a way of defining units. The core macro is \dimension, a rather clever one that is able to cooperate with some other dimension related macros. As said, this module enables user to enter:
\usemodule[units] Some 10 \Square \Meter \Per \Second\ or more.
(Note that the space after \Second needs to be explicitly specified; otherwise, it will get eaten.)
- Units act upon signals that they insert in the text, in case no quantity is given you need to start the unit sequence using \Unit
\usemodule[units] Units of measurement is \Unit \Milli \Meter
The units itself are implemented as synonyms.
\definesynonyms [unit] [units] [\unitmeaning] \setupsynonyms [unit] [textstyle=\dimension]
Macros defined in units
External link: [How Many? A Dictionary of Units of Measurement]
- Prefixes: \Atto a, \Femto f, \Pico p, \Nano n, \Micro μ, \Milli m, \Centi c, \Deci d, \Hecto h, \Kilo k, \Mega M, \Giga G, \Tera T, \Peta P, \Exa E (missing: \Zetta Z, \Yotta Y, \Zepto z, \Yocto y)
- Suffixes: \Linear 1, \Square 2, \Cubic 3, \Inverse or \ILinear -1, \ISquare -2, \ICubic -3
- Fraction: \Per, \Percent, \Permille, \Promille
- Time: \Second, \Minute, \Hour, \Day, \Month, \Year
- Length, Area, Volume: \Meter, \Angstrom, \Foot, \Inch, \Liter
- Mass, Force and Pressure: \Gram, \Atom, \Newton, \Pascal, \Mol, \At, \Atm, \Bar, \Force
- Energy, Electricity and Magnetism: \Joule, \Watt, \Cal, \Farad, \Henry, \Ohm, \Siemens, \Ampere, \Coulomb, \Volt, \Tesla, \Gauss, \VoltAC, \VoltDC, \EVolt, \Weber
- Temperature: \Degrees, \Kelvin, \Celsius, \Fahrenheit
- Angle: \Rad, \Deg, \Sterant
- Frequency, Optics and Acoustics: \Hertz, \RevPerSec, \RevPerMin, \Candela, \Lux, \Bell
- Chemistry and Radiation: \Atom, \Mol, \Molair, \Equivalent, \Bequerel, \Sievert, \Gray
- Informatics: \Baud, \Bit, \Byte
- some old dutch (not listed)