You can read the licence (Creative Commons GNU GPL for program code, and Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike for documentation).
The general steps to install ConTeXt LMTX are as follows:
- Create a directory for ConTeXt.
- Download the platform-specific archive file into the ConTeXt directory.
- Unpack the archive.
- Execute the install program, which downloads the distribution.
- Update the PATH environment variable.
- Generate cache
- Optionally, delete the archive file.
See the next sections for instructions specific to various platforms.
The steps in this section show how to download and install ConTeXt for a 64-bit Linux system. Change the archive file download link as needed for your target platform. Open a new terminal then run the following commands:
- mkdir $HOME/context
- cd $HOME/context
- wget https://lmtx.pragma-ade.com/install-lmtx/context-linux-64.zip
- unzip context-linux-64.zip
- sh install.sh
Update the PATH environment variable by using the path instructions displayed when the install program finishes. The instructions will vary depending on the type of shell being used:
echo 'export PATH=...instructions...:$PATH' >> ~/.bashrc
echo 'export PATH=...instructions...:$PATH' >> ~/.zshenv
echo 'export PATH=...instructions...:$PATH' >> ~/.profile
echo 'set path = ($path ...instructions...)' >> ~/.cshrc
For example, if ConTeXt was downloaded into
$HOME/context on a system running bash, then the following line would update the PATH environment variable:
echo 'export PATH=$HOME/context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:$PATH' >> ~/.bashrc
Then generate the cache with
The instructions for MacOS are the same as for Unix, but note that:
- MacOS versions from Catalina (10.15) and newer use Zsh by default.
- MacOS versions before Catalina use Bash by default.
Complete the following steps to set up ConTeXt on Windows:
- Create a directory for ConTeXt, such as
- Download the architecture-specific version into the ConTeXt directory.
- Extract the archive.
Installation is complete.
This section describes how to run ConTeXt to transform your first TeX document into a PDF.
- Download the tex input file Hello-World.tex from our Detailed example.
context Hello-world.texin your terminal (or command prompt).
- Check the PDF output
Additional tutorials include:
See the Sample documents page for even more examples.
Re-run the install program to upgrade, which will update the distribution incrementally:
The new distribution has all the files to run the previous version of ConTeXt.
context --luatex Hello-world.texto use the
luatexbinary and MkIV.
Further installation instructions
- Installing ConTeXt LMTX on MacOS
- Installing Modules for ConTeXt LMTX
- The official page Installing ConTeXt LMTX is hosted by Pragma ADE.
- Pragma ADE also provides the ConTeXt MkIV distribution (version MkIV is the predecessor of LMTX) for which there are also detailed installation instructions.